State document requirements for employing teens

May 17, 2013

State law controls the age at which teens must obtain age certificates, working papers or parental consent letters and how long you must retain those documents.

To help you get a handle on this crucial paperwork requirement, the chart below summarizes these laws. States that don’t have any requirements for working papers aren’t listed.

To get the full story on child labor laws, contact your state labor department.